Spring Travel Tips at Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (March 15, 2021) – While the COVID-19 pandemic continues to result in reduced passenger traffic volumes across the country, travel demand is gradually increasing, and many will resume air travel this spring. Passengers traveling through Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport (BHM) can rest assured that multiple layers of protection are in place to keep travelers and airport workers safe. The travel journey may have slightly changed; however, travelers can still expect an easy, convenient and safe travel experience at BHM. Travelers are encouraged to do their part by planning ahead, packing smart, arriving early, and flying healthy.
- Download your airline’s mobile app for flight status notifications, access to your boarding pass, tracking bags and more.
- Check for any restrictions that may be in place at your destination including COVID-19 testing requirements and quarantine orders, and review CDC guidance for travel.
- Bring multiple face masks. Federal law and the airlines require masks to be worn in the airport and on the plane.
- Dress for travel. Wear comfortable clothing and easily removable shoes to move quickly through TSA screening at the checkpoint.
- Start with an empty bag and review TSA’s prohibited items list for both carry-on and checked baggage. If using a baggage lock, use a lock that is TSA approved.
- Pack items in layers (shoes one layer, clothes one layer, electronics one layer, etc.) to help Transportation Security Officers see what’s in your bag.
- Place all medicines and valuables, such as jewelry and laptop computers, in carry-on baggage.
- Remember TSA’s 3-1-1 guidelines for liquids, gels and aerosols. TSA is allowing passengers to bring liquid hand sanitizer up to 12 oz. in carry-on bags until further notice.
- Remove food items from carry-on bags and place them in bins for screening.
- Declare firearms at check-in with your airline. Firearms may only be transported in checked baggage and must be properly packed.
- Arrive at least two hours prior to departure to allow plenty of time for parking, luggage check-in, security screening, concession and retail lines before arriving at your gate.
- Park in the parking deck as all on-site parking is consolidated and conveniently located in the parking deck across from the terminal.
- Relax, shop, and grab a bite to eat as airlines have limited their food and beverage services.
- Wear a mask that properly covers your mouth and nose.
- Wash your hands often and use hand sanitizer.
- Maintain proper distancing in passenger queue lines.
- Follow CDC guidance for COVID-19 testing before and after travel.
- Do not travel if you are sick.
Additional Links for Helpful Information
- Ready to Fly – BHM Passenger and Employee Safety Campaign
- Arrivals and Departures
- Ground Transportation
- Airline Contact Information
- TSA Spring Break Travel Tips
About Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport
As Alabama’s largest commercial airport, Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport has served as a gateway to the sky for nearly 90 years. Governed by the Birmingham Airport Authority, the airport continues to be a catalyst for growth and economic development for the entire region. For more information, visit flybirmingham.com or follow BHM on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn.