Summer Travel Tips at BHM
Travel demand is gradually increasing, and many travelers are resuming air travel this summer. Passengers traveling through Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport (BHM) can rest assured that multiple layers of protection are in place to keep travelers and airport workers safe. The travel journey may have slightly changed since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic; however, travelers can still expect an easy, convenient and safe travel experience at BHM. Travelers are encouraged to do their part by planning ahead, packing smart, arriving early and flying healthy.
- Download your airline’s mobile app for flight status notifications, access to your boarding pass, tracking bags and more.
- Check for any restrictions that may be in place at your destination including COVID-19 testing requirements and quarantine orders, and review CDC guidance for travel.
- Bring multiple face masks. Federal law and the airlines require masks to be worn in the airport and on the plane. Failure to comply can result in civil penalties.
- Dress for travel. Wear comfortable clothing and easily removable shoes to move quickly through TSA screening at the checkpoint.
- Start with an empty bag and review TSA’s prohibited items list for both carry-on and checked baggage. If using a baggage lock, use a lock that is TSA approved.
- Pack items in layers (shoes one layer, clothes one layer, electronics one layer, etc.) to help Transportation Security Officers see what’s in your bag.
- Place all medicines and valuables, such as jewelry and laptop computers, in carry-on baggage.
- Remember TSA’s 3-1-1 guidelines for liquids, gels and aerosols. TSA is allowing passengers to bring liquid hand sanitizer up to 12 oz. in carry-on bags until further notice.
- Remove food items from carry-on bags and place them in bins for screening.
- Declare firearms at check-in with your Firearms may only be transported in checked baggage and must be properly packed. Firearms in carry-on bags are prohibited by federal law.
- Arrive at least 90 minutes prior to departure to allow plenty of time for parking, luggage check-in, security screening, concession and retail lines before arriving at your gate.
- Park in the parking deck as all on-site parking is consolidated and conveniently located in the parking deck across from the terminal.
- Relax, shop, and grab a bite to eat as airlines have limited their food and beverage services.
- Wear a mask that properly covers your mouth and nose.
- Wash your hands often and use hand sanitizer.
- Maintain proper distancing in passenger queue lines.
- Follow CDC guidance and recommendations for vaccinated and unvaccinated people
- Do not travel if you are sick.
Additional Links for Helpful Information
- Ready to Fly – BHM Passenger and Employee Safety Campaign
- Arrivals and Departures
- Ground Transportation
- Airline Contact Information
About Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport
As Alabama’s largest commercial airport, Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport has served as a gateway to the sky for nearly 90 years. Governed by the Birmingham Airport Authority, the airport continues to be a catalyst for growth and economic development for the entire region. For more information, visit flybirmingham.com or follow BHM on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn.