Thanksgiving Holiday Travel Tips
Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport (BHM) is offering travel tips ahead of Thanksgiving, one of the busiest travel weeks nationwide, when more than 35,000 people will travel through the Birmingham airport from Friday, November 22nd through Sunday, December 1st. Travelers are encouraged to plan ahead, pack smart, and arrive early.
- Check with your airline for any schedule changes before arriving at the airport and sign up for flight status alerts.
- Print boarding passes prior to arrival or plan for mobile boarding. Contact your airline for specific instructions.
- Dress for travel. Wear comfortable clothing and easily removable shoes to move quickly through TSA screening at the checkpoint.
- Daily parking is available in the Airport Parking Deck for $12/day or in the Economy Lot for $10/day. Free shuttle service is available from the Economy Parking Lot.
- Don’t circle the airport. Use Hourly parking in the Airport Parking Deck to greet passengers at baggage claim or use the Cell Phone Lot to wait for passengers to arrive.
- Start with an empty bag and review TSA’s prohibited items list for both carry-on and checked baggage. If using a baggage lock, use one that’s TSA approved.
- Pack items in layers (shoes one layer, clothes one layer, electronics one layer, etc.) to help Transportation Security Officers see what’s in your bag. For the best packing practices, visit www.tsa.gov.
- Place all medicines and valuables, such as jewelry and laptop computers in carry-on baggage.
- Remember TSA’s 3-1-1 guidelines and place bag with liquids, gels and aerosols in the front pocket of your carry-on for easy accessibility.
- Firearms are only allowed in checked baggage and must be unloaded, placed in a locked, hard-sided container and declared to your airline.
- Arrive at least two hours prior to departure to allow plenty of time for parking, luggage check-in, security screening, concession and retail lines before arriving at your gate.
- Relax and enjoy a taste of Birmingham’s unique local flavor, along with nationally renowned brands, in the terminal before your flight.
About Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport (BHM)
Serving nearly 3 million total passengers annually with more than 120 daily flights, the airlines at BHM connect travelers to 397 destinations across the country and internationally with as little as one stop. To learn more, please visit flybirmingham.com.