BHM Customer Satisfaction Remains High Amid Global Pandemic
The Birmingham Airport Authority released the results of its 2020 fourth quarter customer satisfaction survey conducted by Phoenix Marketing International at the Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport. The survey is a continuation of a series of surveys that began in August 2019 to show how BHM fares among travelers and to gain insight on travelers’ perspectives on the airport. A total of 403 departing passengers at BHM completed surveys between October 8th and December 31st. Passengers were selected by a trained interviewer using random selection procedures in gate areas. Passengers completed the survey on their own mobile devices as opposed to the interviewer’s ipad to reduce touchpoints and avoid cross contamination during the COVID-19 global pandemic. Nearly all travelers (98%) were satisfied with personal safety in the terminal.
A primary goal for the Birmingham Airport Authority is to improve the passenger experience at BHM. The information from the customer satisfaction surveys will guide the Birmingham Airport Authority as it makes strategic improvements to elevate the passenger experience at BHM.
OVERALL AIRPORT SATISFACTION
- Passengers’ overall satisfaction with Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport during Q4 was 96%.
- About seven out of ten passengers (68%) were likely to recommend Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport to others based on their experience.
- Passengers were most satisfied with check-in process overall, terminal facilities overall, and getting to the terminal.
- Passengers were least satisfied with food and beverage, retail, and wifi overall.
- The top three drivers of satisfaction were gate area overall, food and beverage overall, and security checkpoint overall. These areas will be a primary focus of improvement.
- Passengers reported that it took an average of 6.6 minutes to check in and 8.1 minutes to process through the security checkpoint.
- The average age of the travelers surveyed was 39.
- Leisure travelers (68%) heavily outweighed business travelers (22%) for the survey period.
- 2020 – Quarter 4 _ 96% overall customer satisfaction
- 2020 – Quarter 3 _ 96% overall customer satisfaction
- 2020 – Quarter 1 _ 99% overall customer satisfaction
- 2019 – Quarter 4 _ 96% overall customer satisfaction
- 2019 – Quarter 3 _ 93% overall customer satisfaction