Pardon Our Progress
We're Busy Building a Better Future.
At the Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport, we’re focused on the future and using every tool available to make sure your airport experience is the best that it can be. Our terminal modernization project is just one of the ways we’re working hard to do just that. Here is the latest update and timeline:
Week of June 10, 2013:
- Construction on the rainwater collection tanks has begun.
- Fireproofing has begun in existing building.
- Elevator C in parking deck is closed for construction. Elevators A and B are open for use.
Week of May 27, 2013:
- Demolition continues inside Concourse C.
- Shuttles will continue to be available for departing passengers on the upper level. For arrivals, shuttles will be picking up passengers in the commercial outer lane on the lower level.
Week of April 29, 2013:
- Demolition has begun on airside of the terminal. Travelers can expect no inconveniences.
Week of April 22, 2013:
- Phase II demolition has begun starting with the interior.
Week of March 11, 2013:
- Transition from the old terminal to the new terminal occurred on March 13, 2013. All airlines and gates will now operate out of the new terminal. The old terminal is now closed off for the begining construction of Phase II.
Week of February 26, 2013:
- Ribbon cutting ceremony takes place Tuesday, February 26th to celebrate the completion of Phase 1 Terminal Modernization.
Week of January 8, 2012:
- Shuttles, limo, buses and ground transportation have been relocated to the upper (departures) roadway at door 3.
Week of July 24, 2011:
- North end of the terminal, including Concourse B, closes for renovations and will remain closed during the entire Phase 1 of construction.
Week of July 10, 2011:
- Car Rental Counters will move from terminal building to the first floor of the parking deck in Sections B and C. Car rental facility entrance located on the first floor in section C.
Week of June 19, 2011:
- US Airways passenger ticketing and boarding will move from Concourse B to Concourse C.
- Continental Airlines passenger ticketing and boarding will move from Concourse B to Concourse C.
Week of June 5, 2011:
- American Airlines passenger curbside, ticketing, and boarding will move from Concourse B to Concourse C.