Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport recommends that travelers follow the guidelines issued by the airlines with regard to advance check-in.
Most airlines recommend that passengers arrive at the airport 60 to 90 minutes prior to departure. Some airlines may stop checking bags up to 30 minutes prior to departure and begin the boarding process earlier in order to comply with these new federal regulations.
For the latest Transportation Security Administration travel tips and prohibited items list click to the TSA website.
- No unattended vehicles are permitted in front of the terminal. Passengers may be dropped off and baggage unloaded on the upper level roadway, but the vehicle must be attended at all times. Violators will be towed.
- If you have a medical, parental, or other specific need to accompany a ticketed passenger beyond security checkpoint, please check at the airline ticket counter to determine further assistance.
- To expedite the screening process, passengers are advised to limit the number of electronic equipment carried with them. Screening these devices will create delays. Whenever possible, place these items in your checked luggage.
- No knives or cutting instruments of any length or composition are permitted past the security checkpoint.
- If you have a medical condition that requires you to carry a needle on your person or in your carry-on baggage, you must have the medication that requires such injection on your person. The medication must be packaged with a pharmaceutical label identifying the medication.
- Any items surrendered at the security checkpoint will not be returned.
- All luggage, checked and carry-on is subject to random inspection.